Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lovina to Ubud

It's time to say good bye to Lovina.  A great little spot - quiet, laid back and relaxing (unless you choose to bugger yourself mountainbiking). 

Still running a bit on NZ time.  I wake up early and decide to go for a dawn walk.  The dolphin boats are just heading out.

Not to catch them, but so tourists can see them offshore.  I'm asked if I want to buy a ticket.  I decline of course, and explain that in New Zealand dolphins come right into shore to play with the swimmers.  Go Moko!

Next stop the swimming pool.

 Astute readers may note the same picture appeared on FB.  Teasing then of course - it was dark by the time the ride ended.

I missed MarieClaire last night and again this morning, so scribble my email address on a piece of paper outside her room and climb into yet another minivan for the trip south to Ubud.  And spectacular it is too as we climb over the saddles between Bali's volcanic peaks.  The roads are a mixed blessing - twists and turns to bring tears to a motorcyclist's eyes, but chock full of slow vehicles that makes overtaking an experience for either the quick or the dead.


I'm chatting to a Czech couple in the van and after extolling the beauties of our respective countries agree that we'll schedule a visit.  I've always wanted to visit Prague - now it's just a matter of timing!

I settle in to Loka House just off Monkey Forest Rd in the heart of Ubud.  I ask my host Gusti if there's any biking to be done.  He grins and brings me a brochure of a cycling eco tour.  Well, that's got tomorrow sorted!

No comments: