Saturday, May 7, 2011

Castiglione dei Pepoli, and Ducati, Bologna

We've stayed overnight at Guesthouse Pellicciari in Castiglione dei Pepoli, and are due at the Ducati factory for the 11am tour, carefully booked to give us time to see the South African war memorial beforehand. Pauline's Dad Nick fought the Germans here in 1944.


Tucked in the centre of a roundabout at the top of via 6 Divisione Sudafricana is the memorial, where the locals pay tribute to those who liberated them.


Nestled on a little slope nearby is the immaculately maintained cemetery. Pauline identifies the headstones of some of her Dad's mates, now at rest.

After a period of reflection at this sombre but idyllic spot, we're on our way north. Pauline's done the majority of the detailed itinerary planning for Italy, but the Ducati factory was one visit not too far out of the way on which I insisted.


We exit the autostrada to the west of Bologna and head for Via Ducati. I sense we're drawing close, in fact that's the car park right there.


The bike parking is of course far more interesting. A lot of Multistradas, Monsters, and a surprising number of the new Diavels - first time I've seen one in the flesh.

No photos in the factory itself, but we see the manufacturing area for the camshafts and crankshafts, the only components actually made onsite - everything else is outsourced.

No robots on the assembly line - every bike is hand built. We see the assembly lines for the Multistrada and sports bikes - fascinating as the workers (30% of whom are women) collect their trolleys of parts and assemble a particular component of the bike.

It all comes together at the end for the final quality checks before the bikes are shipped off around the world, with the Americans getting the detuned versions with the extra emission controls. Better get one in NZ quick!

Unfortunately we're not allowed through the MotoGP section, which is in a separate wing of the factory with tight security controls - even our guide can't get in.

We can pull a camera out in the museum though.


If you thought Ducati only made singles and twins, think again. Here's the prototype for the Apollo, a 1257cc V4! It was rejected back in the 70s as being too heavy, and never saw production. V-twins continue to rule ok!

My thoughts turn to what bikes my mates back in New Zealand might like.


Patty would get a lot of use out of this Paris/Dakar winner, a Cagiva/Ducati hybrid, on the farm.


Leith would have a blast on the frozen lakes of the South Island with this one, and I suspect he wouldn't need the trainer wheels for long.


The GP race bike ridden to victory by The Doctor, Valentino Rossi, would suit Graham down to the ground.


Meanwhile, Pauline would probably be happier piloting this classy electric bike. And as for me?



Well, the Diavel is getting rave reviews, and this one seems to fit pretty well. Or would a Multistrada be more practical, particularly for touring and gravel? Or both, perhaps? It's nice to dream. I suspect the Raptor will still be sitting in my garage for a while yet.

Time to head back to Tuscany, and we set the GPS for Lucca, just north-east of Pisa.


A screech of brakes on a back country road as we spot a field full of poppies - can't go past this magic sight without a photo.


It takes a bit of finding, but we check in to Emma's Bed and Breakfast on the outskirts of Lucca. A delightful spot in a little village with cultivated fields outside. It's great having a car and not having to pay expensive city rates, though there are some disadvantages with these old places. The iPad's having a bit of trouble connecting to this interesting looking wireless access point - ok so we're off the air for a couple of days. No worries - we're on holiday!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Rob McCallum said...

Steve,
I enjoyed your blog and trip to Italy. In particular I discovered your visit to Castiglione dei Pepoli and the South African war memorial. It is a special place because my uncle Hugh Crawford McCallum perished there, evidently trying to flush out a German sniper. I know its a long shot but wonder if Pauline's Dad ever remembered Hugh? I love Italy by the way and travel there often. Regards. Rob McCallum

Steve Southall said...

Hi Rob - I passed your comment on to Pauline's Dad and here's his response:

Rob

Greetings

I did not know your uncle Hugh McCallum but do know about the circumstances of his death which occurred on the 16th April 1945 whilst serving with the Ist City/Cape Town Highlanders in the taking of Monte Sole.

I have comrades, acquaintances, and friends, some were at school with me at Pretoria Boys High, who also lie buried at Castiglione dei Pepoli. It is a sad but beautiful place. Together with my son and his wife I visited and paid my respects to all who lie there in 2009. I served in the 1/11 Anti Tank Regiment of the 6th S A Division 1944/45 returning home in February 1946 not yet 21 years of age. At 86 years of age I guess I will not be visiting Castiglione dei Pepoli again but do zoom in on Google Earth from time to time. I posted a photograph of the cemetery on Google Earth earlier in the year.

My wife and I, sadly she passed away in 2004, emigrated to New Zealand with our three children in 1962. Steve Southall is the partner of Pauline, the youngest of those children.

As the Zulu says. "Go well my friend"

Kindest regards,

John (Nick) Nicholson.