Friday, November 16, 2007

Get your motor runnin'

...
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure
And whatever comes our way

So I threw my leg over my Harley chopper and headed out onto the highway. Er - not quite - I stepped through my little Honda scooter and putted up the graveled goat track that serves as a road from Sapa central to my Cat Cat hotel.

And as for lookin' for what comes my way - pretty much everything does! Buses overtaking into your path, crazy motos merging from everywhere and nowhere, chooks scurrying across the road, H'mong girls having excited conversations in the middle of the road, and buffaloes with horns so mean and long you could hang your helmet on what pokes out the other side of your chest if you have the misfortune to run in to one.

So it was some trepidation that I got used to my little scooter, particularly since I was riding on the right side of the road with the mantra "Tight right, loose left" running through my brain at every intersection.

But I got into the swing of it, and soon I was leaning in to those beautiful curves on the main road to Lau Cai. Yee ha! Next was back to the road close to where my trek was - past H'mong and Dao villages - kids and animals everywhere. Lots of clay and gravel roads, with a nice little ford to cross too. I thought scooters were supposed to keep your feet dry!




So all good fun - shame it was a little misty, which meant my clothes got a bit damp. Not to mention my saturated feet. But the Vietnamese coffee is strong and warming, and I was soon back to normal, with the buzz factor lots higher!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This photo is rather reminiscent of one taken for your birthday not long back..scooter versus Raptor...
mmmm.No contest me thinks! P