Friday, November 9, 2007

Goodbye HCM, hello Hanoi

Well we didn't get back to the Sheraton - the local Indian down the road had an excellent menu. I stuck to the dahl & veges and so far so good - not a single rumble from my digestive system.

Some last minute shopping in the morning for lanterns (Fi's mum) and skirts & a cute little cocktail dress for hitting the Viaduct Basin (Fi - not me - were you wondering?), and we gave each other a big hug goodbye. No worries - we'll catch up again in a couple of weeks.

Not sorry saying goodbye to HCM though - the pollution, noise and scam attempts are starting to get to me. Yellow House Hotel was good though. Basic, as you'd expect for $15/night, but honest. When one piece of security I took (a door wedge) went missing, they owned up, said the cleaners had thrown it out by mistake, and knocked a couple of dollars off my bill. I'll go back there again.

The Vietnam Airlines flight booked over the Internet from a travel agent in HCM all clicked in to place beautifully, and it was a good flight north. Jetstar could learn something from these guys.

Hanoi first impressions - French influence, wider boulevards, beautiful lake, but otherwise a slightly scaled back HCM. Pollution, noise & scams all over again.

A cautionary note for other travelers - Hanoi airport is a long way out of the city, so hop on the $2 shuttle rather than the $12 taxi. Get out at the Vietnam Airlines depot in the heart of town, and accommodation (shared dorm Youth Hostel in my case) is just a quick $1 moto ride away. Good fun!

But I've decided I want to get out of the cities and see the real Vietnam. First tasks this morning - breakfast and booking Sapa/Halong!

No comments: