Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A tedious journey

It was never going to be a good day. Akl - Syd, then Syd - Hcm. What I didn't expect was the Jetstar flight out of Sydney delayed for 4 hours! Thank God for Qantas lounges.

My first experience with Jetstar was not a happy one. Not just the delay, but the AV over the earbuds was intermittent, the movies distributed on little mobile screens didn't work, and when we finally touched down in HCM the power packed up and there was no cabin lighting until external power was attached! And you pay for everything - not even the coffee was free. Not too sure about the colour scheme either - the curtains looked like they'd been donated by Buddhist monks.

Fortunately the plane wasn't full, or it would have been worse. I had a good aisle seat with space beside me, but just as the doors were closing a rather large woman plonked herself down beside me. Her belly overflowed the armrest, the smoke smell from her clothing was overpowering, and the butt crack as she bent over would put any plumber to shame. As soon as the plane reached altitude some of us sardine class passengers made a run for it, and I found myself an aisle seat with space to spare.

Perhaps there is a higher power.

No comments: